Baking soda can be used for cleaning, fire extinguishing, and deodorizing because of its chemical composition (blending of carbonic acid and sodium hydroxide) and its physical properties.
In the case of deodorizing, it doesn't just mask odors, it neutralizes them chemically. It is for this reason that you will find baking soda in deodorant body powers and bath salts.
Of all the uses, here are 10 to show the variety of ways baking soda can be used:
- Toothpaste (always a classic use of baking soda)
- Underarm deodorant (can be patted onto the skin)
- Helps relieve sunburn sting and insect bite pain
- Antacid (1 teaspoon plus 10 oz of water mixed ... great for heartburn)
- Cleans fruits and vegetables well
- Put in as laundry detergent in our clothes washing bucket
- Stainless steel polish (when mixed with water the resulting paste is super)
- Battery terminal cleaner (super when slightly corroded)
- Shampoo (1 tablespoon to 20 oz of water)
- Grease remover